When renovating or redecorating one’s home, it is often difficult to find just the right furniture pieces. Because there are so many choices available, it helps to narrow down your options to the pieces that best reflect who you are, what you stand for, and what you love. If you want to reflect your unique personality and quirky fashion sense through your furniture, read on for some helpful tips!
– Look to style magazines and online articles to help you find your vision. Even though you want to reflect your own personality through your furniture, you do not need to come up with every idea on your own. You can reflect your own style not only through your unique ideas and furniture combinations, but also through what you choose to include (or not include!) in each room.
– Ask your closest friends what they think your decorating personality is. It can be eye-opening to get a second opinion. You may think of yourself one way, but your friends undoubtedly have at least a slightly different view. Whether they have a lot of advice or just a few ideas, you are sure to appreciate their input.
– It is okay to choose all of your favorite colors, but do not get stuck in a color rut. You might feel that your personality is best described by the color pink, for instance, but do not purchase only pink furniture! Moderation is key. A few pieces in shades of your favorite bright colors, mixed with other pieces in muted tones, will have plenty of personality without becoming visually overpowering.
– Do not choose a piece just because it fits your price range. It can be tempting to “settle” for a chair or kitchen table just because it is not too pricey, but in the long run you will regret it. That does not mean that you should spend more than you can afford, however! If money is tight, be patient. Save up for that perfect living room set or gorgeous wall art. Even if waiting for for the ideal pieces takes more time, it will be well worth the wait.
– Start a “style notebook” and include pictures, torn out of magazines or printed off the internet, that represent you. This collection of visual ideas will describe in pictures what you can not quite describe in words. As your “style notebook” grows, your personality will start to jump right off the pages. If you love making scrapbooks and feel especially creative, take this tip a step further. Put some pictures of your final furniture choices on the last pages to finish the notebook and give you a sense of a project well done.
-Reflecting your personality through furniture is possible even if you are not very artistically-minded, but for those who love to do crafts, decorating can be even more satisfying. When shopping for pieces, do not consider just what they look like, but what they could be transformed into. Do you like a chair but wish it had a different finish? Buy it anyway, and refinish it yourself. Do you have your eye on a new sofa but do not quite like the color? You can reupholster it, make or buy a pretty slipcover, or even just spruce it up with handmade throw pillows. If you are willing to spend the time, there are always plenty of ways to get exactly the results you want.
– Visit antique stores and small boutiques for even more unique ideas. Even if you can not afford the prices, you are sure to feel inspired by the fascinating range of items hidden within these stores. You might even be lucky enough to find some good deals, too.
-In the end, make sure you enjoy your decorating quest. Your personality is sure to shine through whatever you do, as long as you stay true to yourself, to your likes and dislikes. Do not make choices just because you feel they are necessary or good enough. Do not settle for good enough; always strive for the best, and have fun in the process!
Krystina Malinowski writes about expressing yourself for NetQin.