Pair of chairs, in Regency style, of ebonized wood, each having arched top rail, vase splat with beautifully hand painted lyre, upholstered stuffover seat, raised on sabre legs.
This historic home was built in 1925 located in Palm Beach elegance, features classic Palm Beach colors and architecture. The home is located just south of downtown Miami in beautiful Coral Gables, known as “The Gables” to the natives. The Gables is known for its lush green avenues beautiful landscaping, exceptional architecture and historic homes, such as this masterpiece. This home overlooks the Riviera Golf Club. It features a rose garden and formal terrace with a fountain and adjoining carriage house. Designed by Miami-based interior designer Bob Biederman, the interior is as spectacular as the exterior.
Florida Travel + Life magazine featured the property in August 2008, commenting that, “the striking, columned Georgian Colonial is so steeped in Southern charm you can almost smell the magnolias.”
Set of Ten Regency Period Ebonized and Parcel Gilt Cane Dining Chairs in the Manner of John Gee-Two Arm and Eight Side Chairs-Arm Chairs with Brass Casters-All with Hand Made Cushions
A set of six faux painted rosewood and silver gilt Sheraton /regency period side chairs in the manner of John Gee. The turned frames with flaired front legs support caned backrests and seats. The seats are with
later squab cushions. English, circa 1800
A Fine Set of Eight Regency Lacquered & Parcel Gilt Brass Inlaid Dining ChairsCirca 1805
Stamped John Gee
In 1779 John Gee entered into partnership with Benjamin Crompton, “Turner in Ordinary to George III”, and in 1787 was himself sworn in as a turner “jointly with Thos Aycliffe his partner” who came from a long dynasty of Royal turners. From 1799, John Gee is featured in directories as a chair maker at 49 Wardour Street, Soho. He is frequently described as “Chairmaker & Turner to His Majestry”. In 1804 his son Thomas Aycliffe (christened after his illustrious partner) was awarded a Royal Warrant jointly with his father, thereafter the firm is occasionally referred to as “Gee & Sons”. The father retired in
1823, the business being taken over the following year by Charles Bridges, who also received a Royal appointment, Few payments to the firm have come to light, but in 1790 Aycliffe and Gee received L49 8s
from lord Wilton for the chairs for the Music Room at Heaton Hall. However, Gee often stamped his seat furniture, and a large number of fashionable cane-seated beech chairs with ebonized or grained finishes
have been recorded, several embellished with brass inlay.